Personal information is defined under PIPEDA as any information that is identifiable or directly attributable to an individual. It does not cover information about an individual that is available from a public source, such as a telephone directory or legal directory. It also does not cover aggregated data, used for statistical and reporting purposes, from which data a customer’s identity cannot be determined.
Purposes for collecting personal information
ZucoraHome collects personal information for the following limited purpose, namely to establish and maintain a customer database for the collection, management and administration of information and services relating to protection plans, plan services and product purchases. This information may also be used for communication, promotional, or marketing purposes. Opting out is available via our website and the communications that could be sent to you.
We may use your information for the following purposes:
- Identify you as a customer;
- Process your orders and ensure the provision and follow-up of the services;
- Communicate with you when you submit questions, comments or suggestions to us;
- Provide you with information about us and about products or new promotional offers that may interest you;
- Offer and administer promotions and contests;
- Personalise the online experience to your needs and preferences, including display advertising;
- Protect you and prevent errors, theft and fraud;
- Compile statistics;
- Fulfil our legal and regulatory obligations;
- For any other purpose that you consented to when the information was collected.
We don’t use your personal information for any other purposes than those you consented to, or as permitted or required by law.
Consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information
We make every effort to limit the communication of your information to third parties to what is strictly necessary. Access will only be provided for functions and duties where the information is necessary.
- Service providers, subcontractors or agents, including hosting, identification service, payment service and shipping service providers;
- Business partners proposing products and services that are complementary to the those offered on this Website;
- Any parties involved in the context of the actual or potential sale, financing or reorganisation of our company;
- Other third parties, as authorised or required by law.
It should be noted that these third parties may be outside Ontario or Canada.
Accuracy of a customer's personal information
ZucoraHome endeavours to ensure that all personal information provided by the customer and held in ZucoraHome’s possession, is accurate, current and complete as is necessary for the purposes for which the personal information is collected, used and maintained. Upon notification by a customer that the personal information requires correction or updating, ZucoraHome will make the necessary amendments to the customer’s information where applicable.
Retention of the customer's personal information
If the person is no longer a customer of ZucoraHome, or is no longer entitled to receive services from ZucoraHome, his/her personal information may continue to be maintained unless the customer otherwise requests in writing.
ZucoraHome has implemented a number of physical, organisational and technological safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the customer’s personal information, including but not limited to:
- Customers’ files are maintained electronically and in paper form, located in areas where access is restricted to authorised personnel; and
- ZucoraHome utilises the most current firewall, virus protection and other technological safeguards to protect personal information that is retained on the computer network. ZucoraHome has developed and implemented safe Internet and email use protocols for its staff and contracted employees to reduce the risk of inadvertent disclosure as a result of Internet-sourced viruses.
- There is, however, no method of electronically transmitting or storing data containing personal information that is completely secure. ZucoraHome uses all available technological security in the transmission of customer’s personal information. Notwithstanding these technological safeguards, all Internet transmissions are susceptible to possible loss, misrouting, interception and misuse.
Any inquiries regarding personal information management practices may be directed to the Chief Privacy Officer, namely, the Chief Customer Officer of ZucoraHome.
- ZucoraHome will deny access if the individual seeking access fails to produce sufficient identification to verify that he/she is the individual about whose personal information access is being sought;
- No access will be granted to personal information that is not about the individual seeking access;
- No access will be granted to information that is part of a criminal investigation;
- No access will be granted where such access would harm or interfere with law enforcement activities and other investigative functions of a body authorised by statute to perform such functions; and
- No access will be granted to information where such access might threaten the life, safety and security, including psychological safety, of the individual seeking access.
- ZucoraHome reserves the right to refuse access that it believes is repetitious, frivolous, or vexatious.
- Upon receiving a request for access in writing, ZucoraHome will endeavour to have the information available to the individual seeking access within 60 days following verification of the individual’s identity, in a form satisfactory to ZucoraHome.
- The individual entitled to obtain access may challenge the completeness of his/her personal information under ZucoraHome’s care and control. Upon successful demonstration that there is an error in the personal information as retained, ZucoraHome will amend the information as appropriate.
The Chief Privacy Officer of ZucoraHome will investigate all concerns or complaints respecting the handling of personal information under the control of ZucoraHome that are received in writing. As promptly as possible, the Chief Privacy Officer will report to the individual the results of the investigation and, where the complaint is found to be justified, steps will be taken to resolve the matter.
If the individual is dissatisfied with the report provided by the Chief Privacy Officer, or feels that the corrective action taken by ZucoraHome is insufficient, the individual may direct a complaint to the President of ZucoraHome or to the Federal Privacy Commissioner in writing.
If a question arises regarding access to your personal information held by ZucoraHome, or there is a concern about the manner in which ZucoraHome collects, uses, retains and discloses your personal information as a customer of ZucoraHome, please contact:
Chief Privacy Officer
552 Clarke Road
London ON N5V3K5